This is one of my first major projects in Blender. I have done plenty of character models before but wanted to do something more aesthetic-focused, such as a figurine, rather than a rig.
The main goal was to make it physical via 3D printing, so I started out with simple meshes and the overall shapes.
I would then take these basic shapes and hard-surface model some detail into them, still trying to retain the form.
I moved onto the tail next, using an extruded bezier curve to allow manipulating non-destructively later on.
It was now time for the head, where I wanted a chibi-like proportion and equally simple shape language. So I formed it using only basic primitives, only really deforming them slightly.
I worked on the facial features a bit and got the arm proportions figured out. These aren’t actually used in the final model but they were useful for where to model other parts of the character.
Using the same curve technique from the tail, I began modeling hair strands and the rim of the hoodie.
I continued messing with hair strands and used the torso mesh to create the main body of the hoodie.
I then made some sleeves by sculpting the main part of the hoodie to the correct size and shape.
And the final part of the model was the hands. Another use of the curve technique for the fingers, and a simple form for the palm.
This is the final character model used for all digital usage of the character, but to turn it into a figurine some more work was needed.
I combined the entire model into a singular mesh, did some light sculpting to clean up the union intersections.
I threw the model into Cura to begin the slicing process.
Set up all the scaffolding/support and began the very long print.
I’m very happy with the output thus far, it’s not perfect but with a few more iterations I think it will be comparable to the model completely and ready to begin sanding & painting to the final look.